Exporting on a Samsung tablet

For questions about IRControl, proposals for next releases, ideas for designing page layouts
sgabrio

Exporting on a Samsung tablet

Post by sgabrio »

On a Nexus 9 tablet I'm able to export to a file, but on a Samsung tablet (SM-T500) the Path and Filename fields are not visible so export is not possible. Exporting to another IRControl Device works fine.

Also, on the Samsung tablet, when selecting "SD Card" in the "Add Picture Category" dialog and then Path, the file/folder list is empty so it's not possible to select an image. This also works fine on the Nexus 9.

It seems like these two issues could be related and that Samsung has changed something related to file paths.
sturmth

Re: Exporting on a Samsung tablet

Post by sturmth »

Same problem on ALLDOCUBE iPlay 30pro (Android 10). Neither fields for path nor filename are presented.

Regards
Thomas
info@cec.gmbh

Post by info@cec.gmbh »

Hi there

We tested any access to the SD Card with an Samsung Device with Android 10. So it not clear what happens on your devices. Maybe it is a question of access rights.

The security of Android 10 is more restricted than in earlier versions. So it is no more possible to access the SD Card directly from an App. You have to do this over System functionality (Dialogs) from operating system. This is also the reason you can not enymore enter a path and filename on the user interface of IRControl. After process the data export functionality this system dialog should be called where you can choose directory path and enter the filename. The mystery is, that this diealog is apparantly not called in your cases. We will invest some time to find the reason, but it will be difficult because we cannot reproduce this behaviour.

kind regards,
Urs
sturmth

Post by sturmth »

I pulled out the SD-Card.
I restarted the tablet.
In developer settings I allowed access to memory for all apps.
Deleted all data of IRControl Plus from memory.
Deinstallation of IRControl Plus. Reinstalled IRControl Plus.
Started IRControl Plus. Allowed any access the app asks for.

Nothing! The two fields for folder and file are not available.
Any other app I have has no problem to access the memory.

We need a solution. Tell me if You need any data or test. I will try to help to investigate the problem.
sgabrio

Post by sgabrio »

The permissions are properly granted on the Samsung tablet (Android 10) and I'm able to import a file that was exported from a Pixel 4 XL (Android 11). Also, adding a custom image using "Picture Repository" works fine on the Samsung.

Export behaves slightly different on the Pixel phone than it does on the Nexus tablet (Android 7.1.1). On the Pixel you press "Continue" and then "Process" at which point the Android system dialog opens and a filename can be entered. On the Nexus you fill in the Path and Filename fields and then press "Process". On the Samsung tablet, there are no Path/Filename fields or a Continue button and nothing happens when pressing the "Process" button.

Understandably difficult to fix when you can't duplicate it. I'd be happy to help if there's anything I can do to narrow down the problem.
sturmth

Re: Exporting on a Samsung tablet and others

Post by sturmth »

BTW. What is the intention behind the field Main Page? It is always empty, you cannot type anything in and the dropdown reacts only sometimes and then it is empty.
The online help shows a complete different functionality. Maybe there was something lost in logic while developing the new dialogue.
This is not criticism. I only want to give a hint.
info@cec.gmbh

Post by info@cec.gmbh »

Hi Thomas

Let me explain this dropdown box "Main Page" and its function during export. The description in online manual is not very detailed but not wrong. It is a very specific functionality witch makes sens if you runs on an other device the IRControl Executor and you don't want a completely separate configuraton. In this case you can configure an your Device you make the configuration an extra "Main" page for your installation for the Executor (with other name of course). When exporting (not full backup but export only some pages) you can parametrise that this page will be renamed during export to "Main". So it is the main page on the target system.

best regards,
Urs